Hello Folks, In this article, I will share the latest WAEC Chemistry Syllabus. Note that the syllabus uploaded on the platform is up-to-date i.e the updated version. The West African Examination Council created this syllabus for candidates planning to write the senior secondary school examination, be it the private examination (first and second series) or school examination.
The Waec Chemistry Syllabus is a document that outlines everything that will be covered in the examination or class. As a student, Go through the topics and look for a different textbook to read and practice. Also, test your ability or how prepared you are using the online Wae Chemistry past question and answer.
How to use WAEC Chemistry Syllabus 2023/2024
- Download the PDF version of the syllabus
- Look for different Chemistry textbook
- Search for the topic in the textbook. Read, meditate and assimilate on what you’ve read
- Also, Look for WAEC Chemistry Series (Past Question) and treat it to know how well you’ve prepared.
WAEC Chemistry Syllabus 2023/2024
INTRODUCTION: This syllabus is drawn purposely for examination, hence the topics are not necessarily arranged in the order in which they should be taught.
The following assumptions were made in the drawing of the syllabus:
- That candidate must have covered the Integrated Science/Basic Science or General Science and Mathematics syllabuses at the Junior Secondary School (JSS)/Junior High School (J.H.S) level;
- That candidate would carry out as many of the suggested activities and project work as possible, and consequently develop the intended competencies and skills as spelt out in the relevant Chemistry teaching syllabuses;
- That schools which offer the subject have well-equipped laboratories.
Note: Candidates are required to have knowledge of the significant figures, S.I. units, and the conventional/IUPAC system of nomenclature.
AIMS: The aims and objectives of the syllabus are to assess candidates’
- understanding of basic chemistry concepts;
- level of acquisition of laboratory skills including awareness of hazards and safety measures;
- level of awareness of the inter-relationship between chemistry and other disciplines;
- level of awareness of the linkage between chemistry and industry/environment/everyday life in terms of benefits and hazards;
- skills of critical and logical thinking.
WAEC Chemistry 2023 Examination Scheme
There shall be three papers – Papers 1, 2, and 3 all of which must be taken. Paper 1 and 2 shall be a composite paper to be taken at one sitting.
PAPER 1: Will consist of fifty multiple-choice objective questions drawn from Section A of the syllabus (ie the portion of the syllabus which is common to all candidates) . Candidates will be required to answer all the questions within 1 hour for 50 marks.
PAPER 2: Will be a 2-hour essay paper covering the entire syllabus and carrying 100 marks. The paper will be in two sections; Sections A and B.
- Section A: Will consist of ten short structured questions drawn from the common portion of the syllabus. (i.e. Section A of the syllabus). Candidates will be required to answer all the questions for 25 marks.
- Section B: Will consist of two questions from the common portion of the syllabus (i.e. Section A of the syllabus) and two other questions from the section of the syllabus which is perculiar to the country of the candidate (i.e. either Section B or C of the syllabus). Candidates will be required to answer any three of the questions. Each question shall carry 25 marks.
PAPER 3: This shall be a 2-hour practical test for school candidates or 1 hour 30 minutes alternative to practical work test for private candidates. Each version of the paper shall contain three compulsory questions and carry 50 marks.
The questions shall be on the following aspects of the syllabus:
- One question on quantitative analysis;
- One question on qualitative analysis;
- The third question shall test candidates’ familiarity with the practical activities suggested in their teaching syllabuses.
IF YOU FIND THIS ARTICLE HELPFUL SOMEONE MIGHT ALSO NEED IT SO DON’T HESITATE TO SHARE.
THANKS FOR VISITING NEWSEDUNG, LEAVE A COMMENT BEFORE CLOSING THE TAB.